Old 08-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #223
pperfater
New User

Luxilon 4g test

I strung the test string as a full set

Tension used for playtest: 52lbs.

Regular string set up: Solinco Tour Bite 16g at 52 lbs

Racquet brand and model used for test: Wilson Nblade 98

Power of test string: I found the string to be low/medium powered. Felt a little “board-like” but not so different that numerous other polys I have tested. I was unable to get the spin I desired on serves. Ground strokes were OK and stayed in range even with a full swing. A number of folks here have compared this to ALU, but if I am playing with a Luxilon string I find TIMO to have better pop and spin than ALU and chose TIMO.

Feel: If I am going to have to put up with the “board-like” feel I might as well get the power of ALU or TIMO.

Spin: What spin ? I hit a flat ball, but like to get a good slice serve which I was unable to obtain with the test string. Maybe the Solinco Tour Bite spoiled me on the spin serve.

Comfort: Perhaps this string is softer than ALU as others have suggested, but the lack of power made me want to hit harder.

Durability: Still using it after several weeks, and will likely continue until some other string gets my attention. I don’t break strings before they lose their feel and I restring.

Tension maintenance (how long before it became too loose or unplayable): My sample is still playable after several weeks. I expect I will just get bored with it in a week or two and move on to something else.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?): I cannot complain about control. I do have to focus on hitting the sweet spot on serves as opposed to trying to force spin and slice. I just cannot seem to get this string to give good spin on a serve. However, my slice backhand seems OK with this string.

Compare to the string you use most often: I play with Solinco Tour Bite, sometimes Solinco Barb Wire, and then I sometimes hybrid one of the Solinco strings with Gamma TNT2. I cannot see going to this Luxilon string as I am certain it is going to be expensive compared to the Solinco strings and I do not think it plays better.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?): I strung at 52 lbs; if I had another pack I would likely try it lower to see if I could get some pop.

Summary: (List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes.)

1. The gold string looks real “purty” in the black and gold Wilson Kblade..

Dislikes:
1. Needs a little more pop and spin potential
2. I expect I will not like the price.

I wonder what this string would be like in a thinner gauge, and perhaps strung lower; could be a completely different feel. However, I just don’t see my investing in a bunch of this string when customers who think they know what they want in a pricey string will ask for ALU, or now Babolat RPM Blast. .... Thanks for the chance to test the string.
pperfater is offline   Reply With Quote