View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #230
Cup8489
Legend

Sorry for the time it took me to get this posted.. but hhere it is!

Full set or hybrid: Full Set

Tension used for playtest: 52 LBs

Regular string set up: Tourna Big Hitter Blue Rough 17

Racquet brand and model used for test: Head Microgel Extreme MP

Power of test string: Not sure exactly how to explain this. It certainly isn't as high powered as the Big Hitter Blue Rough that I usually play with, but that is a good thing. I could swing confidently with the frame and still count on the ball to land in. I know I wasn't rushing by hitting partners as often as I do with my primary string setup, but because of the additional control, I could work the angles better than normal. This led to some creativity on my part, and a willingness to stretch the court that I normally dont have. I normally try to use the power provided by the frame to hit through the court, but with this string I was far more willing to move the ball around and construct points, with great consistency.

Feel: About what is to be expected from a Luxilon Poly. This string is meant for heavy spin hitting, not for touch and feel shots. I pride myself on my feel, but this string didn't really help me out very much. I could pull off the shots I am usually able to, but I never found myself saying "WOW, what a slice/dropshot!"

Spin: Compared to Both my regular string and my favorite Lux (ALU Power), this string isn't as great for the divebombing spin that I'm accustomed to having with Luxilon. It was a little disappointing, I must say, but the string didn't completely die in an hour either. But the spin could certainly have been better, considering Luxilon's reputation in particular for spinny strings.

Comfort: About what you'd expect from a stiffer Luxilon type poly... definitely not a strong suit of this string IMO. I preferred the BHBR for sure in this department.. But in a more solid or softer frame, I'm sure this wouldn't be much of an issue.

Durability: Can't speak too much on the durability in terms of how long it goes before breaking, as I'm not much of a stringbreaker. But at 8 hours, it still has some good feel for being Luxilon, and I'm sure I will be able to get about 10 hours before it becomes too dead to play with. Not bad for a Luxilon string.

Tension maintenance (how long before it became too loose or unplayable): Good for a Luxilon string ,but not as good as my preferred setup, for sure. If I was a stringbreaker I'd probably prefer this string over the BHBR, but I am not a stringbreaker. Not bad tension retention for a Lux poly, though.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?): As I said before, great control from this string, really let me work the points tactically. Definitely better with faster swings, though.. Anything other than quick racquet speed wasn't getting it done enough with this frame. But that encouraged me to swing freely and quickly with more brushing.. less drive.

Compare to the string you use most often: Not a bad string for me, but I think I still prefer BHBR (I dunno if I'll ever get away from it, tbh). A good string for longer playability compared to ALU Power, but it doesn't have that trademark divebomb spin that I was hoping/expecting from it. Not sure it's worth the price, but it wasn't a crappy string by any means. Just not sure it should be ranked as highly as ALU Power in all departments except tension retention.
Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?): I think around the 50 lbs mark in the frames I use is about right... I would probably string it right at 50 if I had another set. It was a tad stiff at 52 lbs compared to my usual 54lbs with BHBR.

Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes.: As mentioned before, The spin isn't as good as I wanted it to be, and the feel wasn't on par with my regular string, especially considering the price difference. I liked the control and tension maintenance when compared to ALU Power, but it's not so good to ignore the lesser spin potential. But overall, a pretty good string from Lux, but not their best, for sure.

Last edited by Cup8489 : 08-28-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Cup8489 is offline   Reply With Quote