View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
niktub
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGads View Post
At the Farmers Classic last year - not this summer but last - I watched Blake on the practice court and actually overheard a convo he was having with another player, I think it was Rajeev Ram, about his new frame. He said he'd been looking for another frame for years, but Donnay finally produced a frame that 'felt like my old one.' Said he actually went to some factory in Austria, they had several different frames to try out, and when hit with the one, he knew it was for him and said 'How many do you have?'; they said '13' or something like that and he said, "I want each one," and also placed an order for like 30 more.

So maybe it's a Dunlop mold, but it's not the exact Dunlop he'd been playing with for so long with simply new Donnay paint. At least as of that conversation last year.
Does that mean that he is using some Head racquets painted by Donnay?
Head replica of the Dunlop mold paintjob by Donnay

Blake felt the time might be right, and agreed to the proposal. On his way from the US to the Stockholm Open, James and his coach started the testing programme in Kennelbach. During his visit, the personable American took advantage of the chance to meet with HEAD technicians, see how the racquets are manufactured and generally get a feel for the company.

From the initial development stage of inputting his personal data into the computer to the drafting of technical specifications for production of his new racquet, Blake asked his questions and was given detailed explanations about the entire process. He was impressed with what he saw and learned. "I never thought what effect even small changes in the structure of the racquet can have," he said.

The player spent four days in Kennelbach taking every opportunity to test various racquet configurations. The first session began with 11 models of different weights, balance points and flexibility. From this group, he selected three prototypes which were revised overnight and ready for more testing the next day. In three other testing sessions Blake played the potential racquets under competitive conditions, which brought further insights..........

"It was inconceivable for me to find a racquet in three days, which corresponds to the way I play and the way I move," said an amazed Blake, who could barely contain his praise of the technical wizards in Austria. "What the HEAD team has managed is really incredible. I have full confidence in them."

Last edited by niktub : 08-30-2012 at 09:58 AM.
niktub is offline   Reply With Quote