View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #88
spot
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePower View Post
Spot, I guess we have different assumptions on what the net player can cover while in "normal" position. I've never thought to actually measure this in practice, but for example if it's 14ft instead of 10ft, it might end up that hte net person in normal position can actually cover almost as much as you have in your 2nd diagram (showing net person moving wide).

I'm just going off my playing experience here - so it's interesting to see how it ends up when drawn with all the angles and measurements etc
OK- here are the diagrams with 14 feet instead of 10 feet.

I'd still greatly prefer my net player take away the down the line return when I serve wide. (though my wide serving is almost always to the Ad side) Particularly if someone is getting to the ball late that is just ceding too much ground to them in my opinion. I think consistenly people underestimate how far over they should be sliding when the ball is out side. And when a team is two up I also think that the crosscourt player often doesn't slide nearly enough towards the middle but thats a different discussion.

Last edited by spot : 08-30-2012 at 01:12 PM.
spot is offline   Reply With Quote