View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #49
10ismom
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga tennis View Post
I know MANY juniors who have played Babolat since before ten and are now older and have had no arm issues. I also know of an example of a 12 year old girl that had arm issues and the doctor told the dad it might be related to the stiff racket. I think it was because as an 11 year old she played over 150 tournament matches in one year.
I doubt that we will see any well controlled scientific studies on an impact of stiff rackets linking to arm issues. Who is going to fund those research projects? Definitely not any racket manufacturers. Lucky if sport medicine docs would look into it. The most consumers are going to hear about is several case reports.
I know of at least 5 girls 13-14 years old stopped playing several months because of an arm issue. Could be many factors, overtraining, technique, rackets, strings, etc. The one I know used to use Kevlar and other poly, strung tight on a Bobolat racket even when she was 10-11 yr old. Crazy isn't it! Her old coach recommended that. Parents had no clues. Won a lot but sustained a wrist injury. Lesson learned for her parents and now they are a lot more careful.