View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
beernutz
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmverdugo View Post
In my experience a lot of the guys that keep complaining about "sandbaggers" are not that good to begin with, but they think they are good so every time someone beats them they call him sandbagger.

You have good 4.0 and you have bad 4.0 and there can be a very big difference between them.

On the other hand, yes from the playoff and on you will see a couple of really good sandbaggers on each team, but IMO it is not something that would really screw the whole system, if any increase the level of everybody. Another thing that happens a lot is that at the playoffs you get teams from different parts of a city and in some of these parts the level could be lower so when they get to the playoff they feel like everybody is a sandbagger.

So, IMHO, sandbagging exist for sure but it is not something THAT bad.
My take is that sandbagging exists but >90% of it is from self-rated players who have for one reason or another rated too low. I think the NTRP algorithm does a pretty good job of sorting out self-rated players after their first year except for a few odd cases here and there.

Most of the self-rated sandbaggers I've encountered were just clueless about where they should be rated perhaps because they didn't get good advice on what level at which to rate. I have seen very little evidence of players who are clearly out of level trying to stay at their current level by managing their scores. I'm sure it happens but I've not seen it.