View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 04:03 AM   #16
SystemicAnomaly
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow1029 View Post
They don't get different balls at every tournament. There's no on court coaching at the grand slams. There's no difference in the time between points or changeovers at the grand slams. The time between points at WTA events is actually SHORTER than at ATP events...
Excellent feedback from a knowledgeable source. This guy has officiated at numerous professional tennis events, often as a chair umpire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckcluck View Post
I can't wrap my head around why there are two different balls when the "level playing field" has been a topic since the late 70's. If the WTA wants equality, then truly make it equal, don't be selective.
Nitpick much? I don't see why you are making such a big fuss about this particular point. I can't see any compelling reason why the ball used should have any bearing on the equity question of prize money. Women are not deriving an unfair benefit over male players by using a different ITF-approved ball.

Should we also insist that women wear men's shoes, men's clothes and use manly 12+ oz racquets in order to receive equal pay? Are women gaining an unfair advantage with higher iron levels in their diets and higher estrogen levels in their blood stream?

If you want to make an issue about prize money for events where men play best of 5 while women only play best of 3, then I'm with you on that point. However, denying equity because the WTA uses a slightly different ball is pure folly.