View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
stoneage
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Now I remember having read that thread!!

I have experimented with your formula and I think it gives very valuable information. I am still experimenting with what spec change changes the curve in which way.

Could you share what combination of spec changes, makes the curve flatter/steeper, more curved or less curved?

It a challenge for me to figure out if you like a certain racket and thus the corresponding curve, if it acts like a blueprint.
Say you want the same feel during the stroke, but with just more me. Should the curve just being lifted upward or does the curve has to change a little to get the same feel? The trouble a lot players have, is that they like a certain racket, but want more heft. When adding weight it's tough to keep the same feel with a heavier racket.
I started this thread to get some input on how use the curve, so your view is a s good as mine

I would guess that a racquet that follows a similar curve but on a lower level (like your racquet compared to the Pro Staff) should feel similar, but a little lighter in all situations. A heavy, head light, low swingweight racquet will get a flatter curve than a more top heavy. What the curve can show is at what types of swings it actually is heavier, it might only be for very long swings, something that not is obvious when you just look at the basic data.

Let me give two examples: I have started from rather generic racquet, 70 cm long, weight 300 g, swingweight 320, even balance. I have then added 20 g of weight, in one case at the top, in the other at the handle. The latter only differs from the original at long swings and the curves quickly merge. The top heavy racquet is heavier all the way and difference increases for short swings:

In the other example I have also added 20 g, but in this case either all in the middle or half at the top and half at the handle. Putting everything in the middle increases the weight evenly, whereas the more "polarized" racquet increases a little more for short swings. But the difference is fairly small I would say.

stoneage is offline   Reply With Quote