View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #176
travlerajm
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa 1762 View Post
travlerajm, quick question for you about MgR/I and racket length. For standard length rackets, I've had good luck keying in on an optimal MgR/I and MgR'/I' for my 2hb (21.1 and 23.0, roughly). I'm thinking about moving to an extended length racket and want to make sure I set it up properly. I don't see anything in the MgR/I formula that would change with racket length, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Say my standard length racket is at 357 g, 32.3 cm, and 340 SW. Should I still be aiming for these exact specs with the extended length racket?

All your help in this thread is much appreciated! MgR/I has really helped me understand why some rackets work for me and some don't.
Correct - the formulas do not need to be adjusted when you go to a longer racquet, and you can use approximately the same target specs. But keep in mind that while the swing dynamics will stay the same, the impact dynamics will change with a longer racquet. That is, the effective mass at the hitting zone will be lower with longer racquet - so the feel and ball response of the impact will change. The longer racquet will be less solid and less powerful for the same groundstroke or volley stroke. But the added leverage may make it easier to produce spin and ball velocity on the serve.

Because of the lower hitting weight for a given mass, balance, and SW, you may find that you prefer a higher SW for the extended racquet. I would recommend keeping the MgR/I and MgR'/I' values the same, but bump the SW up a bit to compensate for the lower hitting weight, thereby preserving a similar level of mass in the racquet head.

Last edited by travlerajm : 09-06-2012 at 02:09 AM.
travlerajm is offline   Reply With Quote