View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #189
travlerajm
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkstadium View Post
1) Does muscle mass affect the pendulum?
Not that much - other factors such as arm length are more significant.
Quote:
2) You say lead on the butt effects mgr/i for a 2hb. Lead on the butt has minimal effect on mgr/i on the spreadsheet. Does lead on the butt affect mr^2?
Yes, lead on the butt decreases the MR^2 value. But I don't think it's important to worry about MR^2 value. I believe that the apparent optimum MR^2 value for the pros of ~385kg-cm^2 arises as a consequence of having both MgR/I and SW optimized.
Quote:
3) Why does lead have to be 7" to reduce mgr/i? Why can't it be lower?
There is no rule about where to add lead. Adding lead at about 9" from the butt will provide maximum increase in MgR/I for the amount of lead added, but it will also tend to stiffen the frame. The top of the handle is simply a good place to add lead to increase MgR/I without affecting the feel of the impact as much as adding higher. Adding lower works too, but more is needed. If you plan to optimize for both forehand and backhand simultaneously, then you will need to add a specific amount to the handle at a specific location to satisfy both constraints.
Quote:
4) How do you tune your mgr/i for a backhand. Is there a formula, or do you tune till it feels right? I play ohb.
In my experience, a 1hb feels about right when MgR/I is tuned for my forehand at high SW. But I have never specifically tried to tune for a 1hb. I tune my own racquets for a 2hb by assuming that the racquet pivots about an axis 10cm from the butt (where the left wrist pivots).
Quote:
I've noted that on a 27 " frame, adding lead at 18.5" has minimal effect on mgr/i. Strangely 17.5 " increases mgr/i. Just informing you.
[/quote]
Yes. Depending on the starting specs, the inflection point (where adding mass does not affect MgR/I) could be at around 18.5" from the butt. Adding mass anywhere below the inflection point would increase MgR/I.