View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 04:19 AM   #15
chalkflewup
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ismom View Post
If you read the article again, she asked USTA for a (women's) US open main draw or qualifying wildcard. USTA denied that and wanted her to work on fitness. She recently lost in a first round quali pro tournament.

It sounds to me that Taylor wants to make a jump to the pro level. USTA said not yet... you've gotta deal with your fitness first.
IMO, very similar issue with Donald Young...no. 1 junior making a transition. Fitness is important for her game and the tourn level. I could understand why USTPD wanted her well prepared for that but how's the "fitness" issue presented to her (and the media)...not sure it's right.
She's too good for the junior ITF by now.
I wish the media wouldn't print controversial stories concerning juniors but I guess that's what selling papers is all about. If there's a positive aspect to the story, TT will have to step up and earn her way onto the WTA tour.

She hasn't had the best results in the last two junior slams. She lost in the round of 16 at Jr Wimbledon in straight sets to a 15 year old. She lost in round of 16 at Jr French and the the last two sets were 2-6, 1-6. In both of those slams the #1 junior in the world nearly lost in the second round (2 close 3rd set wins). So I'm not convinced that she's streamrolling through the junior tour. At times, she shows brilliance on the junior tour but she's not ready for the WTA as evidenced by her bad loss to 16 year old Vicky Duvall in Vancouver (a 6-2, 6-1 loss).

They actually did her a favor by not giving her a WC. Great kid with tremendous upside -- I hope she knocks it out of the park.