View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
TW Staff
Administrator

Carolyn and Team,

I apologize for the delayed response.

I'd have to say I prefer the older BLX Tour version more, and it basically comes down its higher swingweight (the amount of energy it takes to swing the racquet). I like racquets with heavier swingweights, as that extra heft tends to help me get better depth control and plowthrough with my stroke. The lower swingweight of the 2012 BLX Tour could help explain why I didn't find that level of control I liked with the nTour. However, I did like the comfort and feel of the 2012 racquet the best; it seemed to feel the softest on my arm. Too bad we couldn't just take the control of the nTour, the slight extra power from the older BLX, and the comfort of the 2012 frame - now, that would be my racquet of choice!

Overall, I think they're all great frames and it just comes down to personal preference. What I love about the Wilson Tour racquets is the combination of weight and swingweight. Their weights categorize them as being somewhat lighter, intermediate racquets. Yet they also have similar swingweights as some of the heavier, more advanced frames. This is probably the main reason why I haven't switched racquets after all these years; it's uncommon now to find lighter racquets with higher swingweights.

As for the string, I personally like the feel of softer strings so I usually stick with multifilaments. Wilson NXT 16 has been my go-to choice for years; it's soft, powerful, and in my opinion has great playability. Since NXT is also one of the more powerful strings, I like to string it around 58lbs to make up for the lack of control (higher tensions offer more control, lower tensions offer more power). In general when stringing racquets at a higher tension, you loose feel and comfort since the strings are tighter, but with NXT I still find it comfortable with a good combination of power and control.

I have yet to find a hybrid or a full-bed of polyester that I like as much as NXT, though one string that stands out is Kirschbaum Pro Line Evolution 17. It's a type of polyester string so it's going to be stiffer and more control-oriented, but I find it to be one of the livelier polyesters; my shots felt crisper and I got great feel compared to other stiffer strings. When using Evolution in a full setup, I like stringing it at 47lbs to get more power out of the control-oriented string. Or if I decide to use Evolution in a hybrid, I like to put it in the crosses and NXT in the mains, both strung at 53lbs. Whatever string is used in the mains is what you should feel the most, so I like to go with the comfort of NXT rather than the stiffer Evolution.

Again, be sure to let me know if there's anything else I can help you out with!

Wishing the best of luck to you and your team,

Karly, TW
TW Staff is offline   Reply With Quote