View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #37
goober
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wihamilton View Post
So... if things get that complicated at the pro level, and the pros are still learning, I certainly think recreational players shouldn't stand pat or be satisfied with some basic understanding of strategy.

My view is that the #1 and #2 problems with adult rec level players are technical flaws and fitness. There is such a huge divide between adult rec level players and pros in these things that advanced levels strategy are not very applicable. If you say in certain situation, hit a kicker out wide the BH, well most rec players can't even hit the shot in the first place. What Serena, Fed and Nadal do it certain situations is only valuable if the rec player can has a full range of strokes at their command. Where you serve at 15-30 won't really matter that much if your serve is not very good to begin with.

I almost think a more valuable strategy guide for rec players is what you should do in certain situations based on your limitations- ie. weak backhand, limited fitness, below average serve, ect.
goober is offline   Reply With Quote