View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #18
UCSF2012
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sunset View Post
Hi There.
I'm 32 years old and am headed for my second knee op in 18 months.
Last time I tore the meniscus in my right knee. Now I've got a complex meniscus tear of the OTHER knee.
Has anybody had any experience coming back from these sorts of cartilage tears? Both time I did it running backwards for an overhead.

I'm a little overweight, so this is probably going to be my first solution.
I'm a 4.0 - 4.5 rated player and played a lot when I was younger, then had quite a long lay off, and then got back in to it again.

Should I give up on tennis for my knee's sake?
Don't give up tennis, but you'll have to put it off for the time being.

You got it. You have to lose weight. Too much load/weight on the joints, and your body can't handle it. Don't stay static while you're recovering from surgery (except for immediately after, of course). Upper body weight training is good. When your surgeon gives you the okay, start an aquatics program. Strenthens the muscles under reduced load. Swimming is good too (use a foam pillow to float the legs, while you use your upper body to thrust). Tons of fitness things you can do with a bum knee, until you are healthy enough to increase load on land.

Once you're back in tennis, PRACTICE running in all directions: forward, side shuffle, back sprint, and diagonally. That keeps all stability muscles in check
UCSF2012 is offline   Reply With Quote