View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #206
Circa 1762
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnk View Post
two questions:
1. Have you done any 'blind test' to verify that 'it just clicks'?
2. If you need to 'fine tune' some more - does it mean you end up with MgR/I --not-- being equal to 21.0? if so, doesn't that mean that 21.0 is not any magic number? It's like saying that the 'best' weight for a tennis racket is 290 grams - but you have to fine tune it to suit you. For a player A he will fine tune it to 310gr. Other will tune it to 280 gr. the rackets will feel great for a respective player. Does that mean that the 'best' weight is 290 gr, or not?

Look, if it makes you play better with believing that your racket should be at MgR/I=21.0 than by all means use it. I believe I play better in blue shorts and black wristbands. But let's not claim there's some scientific proof or evidence that racket with MgR/I = 21.0 is 'the optimal one'. No one showed that, including travlerajm.
I think you're misconstruing travlerajm's argument. Each person, the theory goes, has an ideal MgR/I, but this ideal MgR/I depends on things like arm length. Therefore, each person's ideal MgR/I is going to be slightly different. Travlerajm has looked at the specs of pro's rackets, and based on the assumption (I think) that pros are likely to have MgR/I's close to their ideal, found that the pros cluster around an MgR/I of 21.0 (although again, there are variations due to things like height). As a result, he's suggesting (travlerajm, correct me if I'm wrong) that you might want to start with your search for your ideal MgR/I around 21.0. He is not saying that your ideal will necessarily be 21.0.

Based on a series of blind tests - for example, setting up two rackets with the same weight and swingweight but different balance, leading to different MgR/I's - I've concluded that my ideal MgR/I is around 21.2. I'm shorter than the average pro (5'8"), so this isn't too surprising. And these were blind tests with the exact same racket model and on the same day, so I'm pretty sure the differences I felt were real. So basically, don't just set your racket up to MgR/I = 21.0 and call it a day. If you have two rackets, set one to 21.0 and one to 21.1, and see which you like better (you should feel a difference). Say you like the 21.1 racket better. Next, leave that one the same, but set the other one up to MgR/I = 21.2. If you still like the 21.1 racket, you can be pretty sure your ideal is around 21.1, and almost positive it's between 21.0 and 21.2. You can continue to do blind testing like this until you zero in on your ideal.
Circa 1762 is offline   Reply With Quote