View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 03:24 AM   #31
stoneage
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
If the shape of the curve is a personal preference, regardless how high or low it is situated (within reason) I have a few thoughts about it:

If one increases MgR/I by putting mass on top of the handle, the curve remains the same, but situated higher, thus the racket will feel the same, only heavier, despite that the rackethead should travel faster relative to the handle.

If one decreases or increases MgR/I by subtracting or adding swingweight, the curve will flatten or steepen, thus the rackethead will travel faster or slower and feel different.

Is this what you mean Sten, that MgR/I is a consequence of weightdistribution and not the cause of what makes a racket play sweet?
The swing radius tells you the relation between racquet head and handle speed. At the left side of the curve they are the same, at the right side the handle speed is close to zero. So if you pick a point say 15/r = 0.5, r is 30 cm and the acc point moves (30+40)/30 = 2.3 times faster than the handle. And that is the same for all curves at that point. (I am not sure if that answers your question).

And yes, MgR/I is a measure of weight distribution. It is taking one such measure (MR) and dividing it with another (I). It also means that a very heavy racquet (100 kg) and a very light racquet (10 g) with similar weight distribution can have the same MgR/I.

A fun exercise in connection with this is to assume that the racquet has a completely even weight distribution. MgR/I=21 will then lead to the result that the ideal racquet is 70 cm long, but of arbitrary weight!

Last edited by stoneage : 09-09-2012 at 06:55 AM.
stoneage is offline   Reply With Quote