View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #45
timnz
Hall Of Fame

Default Yes, Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lobb View Post
Right.
Take a look at the field for the 1959 Forest Hills Tournament of Champions.
Hoad, Gonzales, Rosewall, Trabert, Sedgman, Segura, Cooper, Anderson, Rose, Giammalva.
Six members of the ITHF (Hall of Fame), all but Giammalva winners of multiple major titles. (Rose won both the Australian and French singles titles.)
How many major winners and ITHF members were in the Berlin "World Pro Championship", an event which was officially sanctioned by whom?
Need we go on with this? Really?
Yes absolutely we need to go with this (with full respect Dan).

Karel Kozeluh
Bill Tilden
Albert Burke
Hans Nüsslein

were all great players. The Pro. game at the time was the Pro game. If you were discounting the 1932, 1933 World Championships because there wasn't enough depth, in your opinion, to the Pro game - wouldn't you also need to discount the US Pro and the French Pro at the same time period? I am not saying that they were better than Vines. I am simply saying it was the top Pro tournament. And being the Top professional tournament it was worthy of major status. It is also reported and respected during the period as the Pro World title - hence this isn't imagined - it is real. I am just trying to bring the history books up to date with what was true on the ground at the time.

Last edited by timnz : 09-09-2012 at 04:09 PM.
timnz is offline   Reply With Quote