Thread: Take this PMac
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #12
Pro_Tour_630
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Karl View Post
As a "side job" I coach the local HS tennis team. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, Wrestling and Volleyball have (brief) Middle School seasons.

Not so for Tennis.

I get only the kids who don't like those other sports to tryout for the tennis team. Patrick McEnroe is correct. The USTA should work with high schools; not against us.

Jr. Team Tennis is a USTA program. It *does* help our high school teams ... but we still have to wait for a kid to decide he/she doesn't like soccer or baseball before we get them in the JTT program. It would be great if the USTA were more supportive of Elementary and Middle School tennis programs.

- KK
KK where have you been

HS tennis coach here and I agree with Pat. The USTA just funded our elementary school and middle school courts. We are starting the programs and getting kids to start early and get them through the pip line to HS tennis. Problem is our local private tennis academies are selling a dream not to play HS tennis if they want to make it to D1, which is sad. I had two top players fall for the snake oil only to come back and play for my team and do well which gave one of them an edge to get into Yale.

So take that USTA!!!!!!!