View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #23
pc1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpinhitter View Post
The Tennis Channel ranks Federer #1. In TMF's mind, that lends credibility to everything else the Tennis Channel says. If the Tennis Channel said that the sky was green and the grass was blue, TMF would be on here arguing that the sky is, in fact, green and the grass, blue.
I believe that's the probable reason. That's why in his mind Laver at number two on the list is Federer's historical rival but the honest truth is that so many great players, at the time they played were called the GOAT. Frankly I find it incredible that Laver is number two but that's for superficial reasons also in some ways also because all the superficial experts see is two Grand Slams by Laver and don't realize the other great accomplishments of Laver. I find it also astounding that Tilden is so low on the list as is Pancho Gonzalez. People don't know their accomplishments but they know Roy Emerson has 12 majors therefore he must be better than Gonzalez and so many others. Very superficial thinking if people think that.

Yes Federer is ranked number one by the Tennis Channel. That's a fact. However historically Federer has many rivals for greatness, not just Laver with whom TMF criticizes all the time but also Tilden, Gonzalez, Rosewall, Hoad, Borg, Connors, Sampras, McEnroe, Kramer, Budge, Perry and Vines. All of these players have been called the best ever and they all have some accomplishments that merit that type of praise.

Last edited by pc1 : 09-13-2012 at 07:46 AM.
pc1 is offline   Reply With Quote