View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #24
TMF
Talk Tennis Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
I believe that's the probable reason. That's why in his mind Laver at number two on the list is Federer's historical rival but the honest truth is that so many great players, at the time they played were called the GOAT.
That's true when Laver or Sampras was considered the greatest during their time. But if someone comes along and surpass that player(eg Fed surpasses Pete) then he deserve to be place ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
Frankly I find it incredible that Laver is number two but that's for superficial reasons also in some ways also because all the superficial experts see is two Grand Slams by Laver and don't realize the other great accomplishments of Laver. I find it also astounding that Tilden is so low on the list as is Pancho Gonzalez. People don't know their accomplishments but they know Roy Emerson has 12 majors therefore he must be better than Gonzalez and so many others. Very superficial thinking.
I don't think it's superficial. If you carefully go through the list from top to bottom, it include players from all different decades, different countries. Of course, countries like USA and AUS has many players on the list because they produces many great players.

I'm sure they know Pancho's accomplishment, and I don't why you guys think they are selling him short. Is it because he was in the old days? If it is, then would they sell Laver short too because he's only 10 years younger than Pancho. Also, Budge was well before Pancho's time and they have him at #6. So I don't think there's any reason for them to be biased against Pancho because he was in the 50s/60s. The same with Evert is placed below Court who was before her time.
TMF is offline   Reply With Quote