View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #48
NTRPolice
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
NTRPPolice,

Let me educate you quickly about my tennis life.

As you say, I'm a 4.0B. Last year, I was a 3.5. I was bumped up for obvious reasons: Strong play at 3.5, including 6-0 at senior 3.5 nationals and 13-0 in 3.5 adult regular season and districts. So no, I didn't have mostly losses at 3.5.

This first year at 4.0 has been rougher, but that's how it goes when you get bumped up. I am working on my game, and things are getting better. I win some, but I need to improve my groundstrokes and volleys.

The reason I feel the need to hammer you is that you pull all kinds of stuff out of your backside. I have played against a large number of 4.0 women. You, apparently, know *one* 4.0 woman. Yet you claim you know that a 4.0 woman with a weak serve isn't a real 4.0 woman, or is pathetic, or is an octogenarian.

I am here to tell you that you are wrong about that.

Honestly, you probably should stick to what you know. You are a 3.0C. Perhaps you are really more like a 3.5. That's fine, nothing wrong with that.

But when you then pop off about what 4.0s and 4.5s can do . . . Sorry, I just don't think you have any idea based on personal experience in competitive matches.
I only looked at your 2012 record for which you have nothing but losses except for one default win. You played only 2D and 3D.

Who said I only know one 4.0 woman? I just talk about her the most because shes my partner for 7.0, I actually know many people in the tennis community here, many of which are 3.5 and 4.0. I have personal friends who play college (now) and are 4.5's and 5.0. I also know some 2.5's. I know a lot of people. I play tennis 4-6 days a week at all different levels, but my league ranges are limited due to NTRP restrictions. I'm actually excited to play 8.0 next year, heh. I might even skip "C" league and play "B" instead too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
You talk about what a 4.0 person would do to a 50 MPH serve and you are a 3.0 rated talking about your fantasies of what your strokes will be like when you are a 4.0 player. It simply has nothing to do with reality. You simply haven't played against many 4.0 women to have any clue what you are talking about.

Many people when they were 3.0 thought that higher rated people don't realize how good 3.0 people actually are. Then when you get to be a 3.5 and you realize that you sucked. Then you think that 4.0 people don't realize how good 3.5 players are. Then you move up and look back and realize you sucked. Thankfully I get to play wtih a lot of former D1 players so I don't have any illusions of grandeur- I accept that I suck in the bigger scheme of things even though I have a very good league record and my teams are highly successful.

As I have said to you before- I think at some point once you have more experience playing you will look back at these threads and see how ridiculous you sound and get a good laugh out of it just like all of us are getting a good laugh right now when you post.

On the serve thing you are just making a common mistake. Virtually everyone who starts playing tennis vastly overestimates the speed of people's serve. They think that a 100mph serve is good and that 50 is a lollipop that may go 15 feet in the air. It is just disconnected from reality. The funny thing is that you actually tried to talk down to people who use a radar gun to measure serve instead of your way of completely guessing which is where you are veering into that satire territory again.
You and many other people think im delusional which is fine, but you guys never address my counter points, but instead, just personally attack.

Talk down to those people? You guys are the ones telling me I dont know what im talking about regarding serve speed because your radar gun at your club tells you so.

I pointed out that a improperly used radar guns measurement of a tennis ball can be off 20 mph or more. If you set up the radar unit wrong, it can make a 120 mph serve appear 80 mph if its measuring the racket instead of the ball. If the measurement of the ball is taken after the bounce a 120 mph serve would then be going less than 100. Then, all of a sudden, you guys think that this 120 mph serve is going only 80... that's my point.

-Serves on TV are measured as they come off the racket face. Fact.
-If you set up your radar floor unit at the net or at the opposite baseline, that's wrong because its not going to be measuring the ball as soon as it leaves the face.
-If you're using a handheld unit, you can be measuring the racket instead of the ball.

I have measured my second serves using the FPS method and they are going between 65-85 MPH. I dont have any footage of my first serve (as ive said) but 85 is not me flattening out the serve at all. Those are all quality second serves with large amounts of spin.

Call BS all you want, but I definitely know what im talking about. You guys will see when I make my 3.0 YER video because im definitely going to put some flat ones in there for all you arm chair doubters.
NTRPolice is offline   Reply With Quote