View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #60
Maui19
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTRPolice View Post
I know I said I wasnt going to post in this thread anymore, but I found this video and id like you all to take a look at it.

Here, what would apparently be a "world class 3.5 player" is serving 75-ish mph. For the sake of argument, lets assume that he cant serve any faster, and that his serve can only go slower the second time around.

Now, that serve is certainly not "coming". Are you still so sure that most of the 4.0 women you know are serving 25-35 mph less than what you see here on their first serves? I can see a 50 mph second, but a 50 mph FIRST?

I must apparently know only world class players then, because 25 mph less than what is shown in that video as a first serve is definitely slower than any of the 4.0+ girls that I know.

But, im just guessing, and im only measuring with my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MmC8HIC44o
I think it is really hard to tell how fast someone is serving on video (or TV for that matter). I recently saw a former ATP pro serving in a match. He has a legitimate mid-120s first serve. Viewing this in person, I couldn't believe how fast his serve was. It looked waaaaay faster than Isner or Roddick look on TV. This was a real eye opener for me. Then I got a look at serves with a ball speed radar, and even the "hard" serves I saw were ridiculously slow.

So I think the bottom line is that it is very hard to judge serve speeds unless you have seen a lot of measured speeds in person. JMHO.
Maui19 is offline   Reply With Quote