View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #46
Misterbill
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by klu375 View Post
Gameboy attains his happiness by listening to his daughter playing piano and watching her doing Singapore math. He attempted to enjoy her playing tennis but it did not pan out. So he smartly concluded that investing time and money in tennis would produce negative ROI and would just distract her from achieving the goal of his life - for her to be accepted into IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITY.
A lot of the statements made by Gameboy are either ridiculous or serve-serving. Junior tennis player ranked 100-800 are the mainstay of all junior HP tennis programs around the country. They make HP tennis possible as it is their parents who support tennis clubs, coaches, equipment and clothing manufacturers and very often those players ranked below 100 as well as under-served groups Gameboy so worried about. USTA does not provide any resources to these players except overcharging them for poorly run sanctioned tournaments often conducted in questionable locations at inconvenient times and in weird conditions. Most of them are looking forward to become college players. But Gameboy does not care about this kind of players and will be fine if college tennis goes away because it does not serve his needs. Even worse these pesky tennis players may take 10+ Ivy spots reserved for his daughter.
Parents of these poor souls actually want junior tennis to be a positive experience for their kids and they are advocating some reasonable National tournament schedule that would really achieve the goals stated by USTA - cheaper participation, less missed school, ability to compete at the proper level as well as reasonable access to college recruiting showcases. Proposed tournament schedule mostly does not achieve these goals and many parents are obviously upset. But here comes Gameboy and tells us - screw you - you and your kids are not important so shut up. And the best part is that Gameboy has probably never been to a junior tennis tournament.
I agree with a lot of the points that Gameboy makes. So wuddya gonna do now........post an imagined profile of my family and their tennis abilities and aspirations?

If you think the facts are on your side, argue the facts. If you think the law is on your side, argue the law. If you think neither the facts nor the law is on your side, attack the person..........I guess is the mantra around here.

Would be interested in knowing how anyone thinks the USTA should alter its schedule to provide more reasonable access to college recruiting showcases, as you brought up. I think college showcases are very valuable, but I didn't realize the USTA is/was adversely affecting my family's access to them.

What should I be mad at the USTA about in connection with college showcases?