Thread: NTRP purgatory
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #42
dizzlmcwizzl
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by backttennis View Post
If I do not join a fall/winter USTA team or play again before year-end ratings come out, is my early start rating going to definitely be my year-end rating, or could it be adjusted up or down due to other factors even if I do not play again before year end?

Our summer team did not do that well or go to districts. Also, another self-rated player who I beat (her first match) now has a dynamic rating which could possibly affect the year end calculations, I would think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_R_B View Post
Early start ratings are only valid until the year end rating comes out. You can keep playing on the teams you already signed up for with the ES rating, but all subsequent teams you sign up for have to be using the YE rating.
The early start ratings are a snapshot of what your dynamic rating is at the time they take the snapshot. So, if you have not played since the snapshot was taken your exact current rating is into the next band.

At the end of the year, when all the national championships have been played they will compare sections and adjust ratings. Essentially, if you beat someone who then goes onto nationals and destroys everyone there your rating will likely go up, because one of your opponents perfromed well at the national level. However, it can go either way.

Last year I was early start raised to the next level after going 7-2 between districts and sectionals ... however, our section representative had a so-so nationals and they turned back the dial in our section and most players that were early start bumps got lowered at year end.

Also last year, there were 3 guys in our district who had decent seasons in the regular season but had no post season play. They were not early start bump ups, but at the end of the season they received year end bump-ups. I am not sure why.

The section ratings lady explained that they did not have direct contact with the national team so they were affected differently than we were.

The fact of the matter is that all you can draw from being an early start bump is that you are close to the line. There is a good chance you could get the call in November, but it could easily go the other way.

Last edited by dizzlmcwizzl : 09-15-2012 at 04:42 AM.
dizzlmcwizzl is offline   Reply With Quote