View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #141
NTRPolice
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
You haven't been fooled by "too much topspin" because you have been playing 3.0 and 3.5 league tennis. Someday after you have been playing longer you will understand that there are some ridiculously effective topspin serves.

Someday you will also face someone who has both a topspin serve and a slice serve. You will then understand that they don't move through the air the same way.
At this point, there's just no getting through to you.

For a topspin to "fool" me, it would have to bounce 6 or 7 ft in the air, which is the height at which the ball would be over my head when im receiving. I'm also in the air when I receive these kinda balls, probably 6 inches to 1 foot off the ground at contact which is drastically different from when I receive a 100+ mph serve where im planted firmly and "pushing" it back.

I think you're a delusional average to below average "4.0" if you think there are none of these serves at the 3.0 and 3.5 level, and that everyone chops sidespin on their serves being normal. There are 3.5's now, past, and present, who will be 4.5's some day. You'd be surprised how good some people are. I dont want to brag about myself, but if you think my skill level matches my current 3.0 (C) NTRP rating, you've got some issues.

There are good varsity high school singles players who play 3.5 and 4.0. Do you think none of those guys serve with topspin?

I'm not suggesting that there are people serving kicks that are bouncing head height at that level, but there are definitely people with topspin serves where the ball noticeably dips into the court. I also take these balls early... so even if one has potential to jump over my head I dont make a habit of returning serves over the height of my shoulder...
NTRPolice is offline   Reply With Quote