View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #143
NTRPolice
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencejin View Post
Sigh... can we please drop the arguments here? It all began with this:

This claim is equivalent to: for everyone whose first serves are 50 miles/hour or less, his/her level is less than 4.0. This statement is so logically strong that it is easy to prove by contradiction. All we need to show is that there exists someone whose first serves are 50 miles/hour or less AND plays at 4.0 level or higher.

Consider the following thought experiment: Federer plays tennis under a restriction that his serves must be 50 miles/hour or below. Would he still play at 4.0 level or higher (e.g. destroy NTRPolice head-to-head)? Sure. QED.

In case NTRPolice doesn't understand logic, the key point in words is this: don't make claims about other people or players when you have insufficient information and knowledge. Always give others the benefit of the doubt. This may fare well in your social and work life in the future.
You're exactly right. If the said person is a "4.0" then I guess that makes what you say true. By this method of reasoning, I should self-rate at 5.0, because then "im a 5.0" because then im apparently a "5.0".

You're failing to take into consideration the big picture. Your method has no bearing on reality.

If you want to give bottom tier players the same weight as a top tier player, that is all you. There is a reason why all of these self proclaimed 4.0's on this forum probably have little to no game.

As I said, a 4.0 women who is playing 8.0 could very well go up against a solid 4.5 guy. You guys seem to think that the 4.0 girl with the 50 mph serve is just going to get a 40 mph slice return of that serve.

As for Roger Federer with a 50 mph first serve? He would be the best 4.0 ever.

Thanks for the life lesson.
NTRPolice is offline   Reply With Quote