View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #23
Misterbill
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkC View Post
It sounds to me like all three concerns would be satisfied:

1. You can travel to the qualifying rounds. Someone could object that a family does not know whether their child will make it to the main draw, so they don't know how many nights to book at a hotel, but they don't know exactly how far in the current draw their child will get, in any tournament, so this is nothing new and works the same for any tournament format.

2. Some college recruiters are only after the very top players. They don't show up for round 1 at Kalamazoo today, and won't show up for the qualifying rounds in the future. Other recruiters know they cannot sign the top 20-30 players, so they will show up for the qualifying rounds but will probably save money by leaving before the main draw concludes, which they probably do today, as well.

3. Because players from all over the nation will descend on Kalamazoo and the Clay Courts for qualifying rounds, there will be a variety of opponents there, just like there is a variety of opponents in the early rounds of the current Clay Courts and Kalamazoo.
I generally concur with this.

1. I really don't understand the complaint here, even though I respect that a lot of people have it, so hard for me to figure what would satisfy. Unless people really need to fly or drive to THE NATIONAL TOURNAMENT, I think this would provide good tourist and family time opportunities.

2. Heartily agree!!!!!!

3. Heartily agree!!!!!!

PS. Didn't you come up with the qualifier idea in some thread here last week?

Last edited by Misterbill : 09-21-2012 at 07:17 AM.