View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #32
WildVolley
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ1 View Post
But you honestly believe the pros would rather have flat heeled shoes? If they did all the top guys would play in them and still get paid.
I honestly believe that the pros don't think about shoes much at all beyond liking the way they fit and thinking they have decent traction. If you've ever been around high level athletes, you'll know most aren't exactly engineers or research kineseologists. Like most of us, they probably rely on personal experience and advice from coaches and companies.

Quote:
Murray for instance still uses the retail B5 sole pattern for hard courts as he's used to how it stops and goes.
Murray also has ankle problems and wears braces on both ankles (clearly visible during his US Open final), so the B5s aren't keeping him from rolling over on his ankles.

Quote:
But they're clearly not playing in Merrell Glove profile shoes though- and the claims the higher shoes increase injury risk just don't stack up against guys who make their living from playing the game and can obviously control the style of shoe they wear.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Merrell Glove shoes are particularly good tennis shoes. However, higher stack heights on shoes do reduce stability. If you wear a high stack height you can shove more outsole durability and cushioning under the foot but it doesn't help stability.

My guess would be that shoes without cushioning are better for stability but reduce performance of certain movements because you can't slam your heel into the ground as hard before bruising it. I believe that pros are actually trading off performance in one area for loss of stability.

My prediction is that as materials continue to improve over the next decade, shoes will get both lighter and lower to the ground.

Also, I think zero-drop tennis shoes will be available because the raised heel seems to be an affectation adopted from running shoes, and even with running shoes, race spikes and flats tend not to have the downward slope of jogging shoes.
WildVolley is offline   Reply With Quote