View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
10ismom
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyO View Post
Format was two lines of boys doubles, two lines of girls doubles, and one line of mixed doubles (line 5). Students are 7th and 8th graders.

There are two squads or divisions who play for each school, A and B, with A squad being the more skilled/experienced, at least in theory.

Like many rec leagues players are self-rated and there are no miminum skill requirements or limits apparently. Some kids in my son's B group could barely hit the ball last week in practice while a couple clearly had extensive training. Most were like my son who obviously had lots of court time, good forehands, weak but consistent serves, weak backhands, and virtually no net game.

The casual hitting between my son, his partner, and mini-Nadal of course didn't count and was just an attempt by the boys to get some practice time.
Thanks for sharing your experience in this message board section. I remember reading many good infos you posted in the string and equipment sections before.
Seemed like your son had a good experience with his first middle school match. School team tennis can be a good way for kids with all ability levels to play matches and compete with the team. Many schools offer a no-cut policy. It is a lot of fun to be able to partner (and perhaps) goofing around some with your buddy from school : )

Your son had made the lemonade out of lemon like you said....getting a good hit with another boy who is more skilled. This is a good thing since sometimes the kids are so clique.....only certain level kids will practice with certain level kids.

In your first post, you noticed his opponent's string and racquet and could tell that the boy has played tournaments. One thing I noticed is also the tennis bag the kid carries....lol.
If the kid comes with a racquet and a water bottle, it is usually a new player.
If coming with a one racquet bag.....might be a club, JTT or a casual tournament player.
If a kid comes with a 6 or 12 racquet bag then that is a tournament, die-hard kid.

Last edited by 10ismom : 09-24-2012 at 07:49 AM.