View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
charliefedererer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Tennis View Post
I just purchased a blue Flexibar to learn how it works and try some exercises. I don't have TE.

When I do the exercise for TE I notice that the exercise causes radial deviation of the wrist -slightly uncomfortable to the wrist - along with the flexion. The demo Thera-Band website shows this same radial deviation at 0:04 & 0:11 sec of the main video.

http://info.thera-bandacademy.com/flexbarelbow

Inconsistent - the small video in the upper right - girl in the blue top - does not have this same radial deviation but only wrist flexion, which I assume is how the exercise with the Flexibar should be done. Also, the instructions received with the Flexibar show this same exercise and girl in the blue top, no radial flexion.

If I move my arm out to the side I can almost eliminate the radial deviation.

Probably the blue bar is too heavy for my forearm & wrist but I have no problem twisting it. Maybe supporting muscles are weak?

Can any Flexibar users comment on the inconsistent videos regarding the final position of the wrist?

Work your muscles in many different ranges of motions, as the Flexbar is good not only to strengthen the flexion/extension muscles but also muscles that are responsible to stabilize the wrist during radial/ulnar deviation. (Ulnar deviation occurs during groundstrokes and serves, so more stabilization is a good thing.)

The Flexbar can thus be used not only to protect the elbow from tennis elbow, but also strengthen muscles that will protect the wrist.

You can get the most out of your Flexbar by doing exercises with your arms outstretched (mostly flexion/extension) as well as bringing your arms in closer (more ulnar deviation).

You will find that if you start with dominant wrist in front of you already fully extended flexed, you will work mainly flexion.
Start with your dominant wrist neutral, and there will be more ulnar deviation as you twist.

Try all of the above to work on different muscle fiber groups within the forearm musculature.
charliefedererer is offline   Reply With Quote