View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #28
kiki
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
I think that if Roche was not injured he would have eventually taken over from Laver as number one in the world. Look at someone Roche later coached, Ivan Lendl who lost his first four major finals to Borg, McEnroe, Wilander and Connors. Lendl eventually took over and won many majors. To move further ahead perhaps that may happen to the player Lendl is coaching now, Andy Murray who won his first major over Djokovic. He also won the Olympics over his nemesis Roger Federer in a great display of tennis. I guess in a way Roche is almost the grandcoach of Andy Murray.

Newcombe wasn't overall a better player than Roche and I think Roche's best was better but Newcombe on any surface would be a danger to any player that ever lived. He did have a big match aura around him that very few players have had.
I said that Newcombe was not overall a better player but he definitely had something else that Roche never had
I always compare them to the other and former twins of aussie tennis Hoad and Rosewall qho nevertheless were completely different players while Newk and Roche looked far more similar
Hoad and Roche were the brilliant and flashy players enduring many injuries while Rosewall and Newk were supersteady guys with no injuries and, at the end both had more succesful careers than their doubles mates