View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #102
OldFedIsOld
Professional

Tension used for playtest : 54lbs
Regular string set up : Solinco Tour Bite and Gosen OG Sheep
Racquet brand and model used for test: Wilson K-Factor 90
Power of test string: It's a poly string so I didn't expect too much in the power department. However it felt less powerful than other poly strings that I use regularly. I had to prep a little more earlier and take a longer takeback to compensate for the lack of power. Serving with this string was pretty good in my opinion, I rely on placement rather than power and this helped me pick my places pretty easily.
Feel : The feel on groundstrokes felt sort of dead to me, but I'm used to playing with a synthetic gut in the cross to add to that. On volleys, it didn't feel that great. Kind of stiff, but sort of dead is what I would describe it on volleys.
Spin: Spin was probably the most disappointing feature of this string. Like what other posters stated, its more for the flatter hitters. You have to really focus on hitting under the ball to get any real kick. On serves, it was all right on slice serves but on topspin serves I lacked any real kick on them.
Comfort: It was pretty comfortable in my racquet, other than the stiff dead feeling on volleys slightly hurting my wrist on mishits.
Durability: Durability was pretty good, the shape of the poly was pretty unique. The mains slid very easily on the crosses, and it didn't develop any noticeable notching until the second or third of hitting.
Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time): Tension dropped the first night after stringing it to a few pounds less than strung. After the initial drop off I hit with it and it dropped some more. From then on out it didn't lose anymore tension to the extent that it would affect the playability.
Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?): The string being low powered, helped with the control on flatter shots. However on topspin shots like angled crosscourts or down the line shots over the higher part of the net were lacking in my opinion.
Compare to the string you use most often: Compared to Solinco Tour Bite, this string didn't beat it in any departments. The interesting thing is the flat shape of this string resembled a rounded rectangular shape vs the Solinco Tour bite's square sharp edged shape. Had the Gamma string been less rounded and given a more sharp edge, I would have seen an increase of spin.
Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?) 52-56 lbs is what I would suggest stringing this in any racquet below 95 square inches. I should have strung it at 52 lbs instead of 54, it might have given me more power.
Summary:
Like: The one thing I liked about the string is the sliding ability of the poly because of the flatish shape.
Dislike: The spin from this string was really lacking compared to other poly's that I've used.
All in all, I would like to try this string again if Gamma re-released it with a slightly more sharp edged shape. Stringing it in a hybrid would have been very interesting.
OldFedIsOld is offline   Reply With Quote