View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #66
TeamHumphrey
New User

@6LOVE I might try the Merrell's -- I didn't like the vibram outsoles in my New Balance's but I'll check out the Merrell's.

@loosegroove -- There is a huge difference between "minimalist" shoes that strive to make you feel as if you are not wearing a shoe at all, and Chuck Taylors.

The Chucks are heavy, inflexible, squishy, and lack ground feel compared to the new minimalist shoes. The toebox can also be a bit too narrow for some people. Finally, the outsole does not grip as well as some of the newer shoes.

While relatively low to the ground, the old canvas chucks don't really have very good lateral stability, or even front to back stability -- your feet tend to move in the shoe, rather than the shoe and the foot moving as one.

I am biased though -- I would wear Chucks for weight lifting, but not for any other athletic endeavor -- I have tried, but I have had more injuries potentially attributable to footwear in Chucks than any other shoe.

If you are looking for a "normal", cheapish, and fashionable minimilish shoe, I'd look at indoor soccer shoes. The Adidas Samba might be a bit better than the Chucks performance wise.
TeamHumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote