View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
Chas Tennis
Hall Of Fame

CF, That is a very clear description with illustrations and you pin-pointed important issues.

As for the Flexibar or other treatments, I hope that there will be treatments that will produce improvements in the chronic tendonosis phase but, as usual, the solid research, independently repeated, to back up conclusions is not here as far as I can see.

For myself, I don't believe in exercises or stretches with tendinitis. Also, I have posted what I read about new acute tendon injuries - if stressed - possibly becoming tendinosis in a very short time. Again, I wish I could find this issue discussed more often by Drs and researchers. It seems that there should be a very simple rule given the uncertainty of TE & GE injuries - 'not certain of the injury - then stop playing for 3 months or more and see a Dr'.

There is some logic to eccentric exercises possibly breaking up tendinosis since eccentric contractions disrupt muscles more than concentric contractions. But in view of its importance why isn't there more research on eccentric treatment? Why isn't there more use of eccentric treatments by the medical community? I'd be surprised to hear of someone with TE that was being treated with physical therapy using primarily eccentric treatment. I would not be surprised to hear of cortisone shots.........

TE & GE are probably so difficult because many people probably have some mixture of the three conditions that you identified, all at the same tendon attachment- healthy uninjured tendon, inflamed tendinitis and old scar tendinosis (fibrosis).

Last edited by Chas Tennis : 09-24-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Chas Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote