View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #106
LanEvo
Hall Of Fame

Send a message via AIM to LanEvo Send a message via Yahoo to LanEvo

Very sorry for the late review everyone, school got busy, and then I was away for a week, but I got it strung up and here is my review.

Tension used for playtest: 53 lbs.

Regular string set up: Xcel./NRG2 on Frame 1 (Main Frame) and Heptonic on Frame 2 all @ 53 lbs.

Racquet brand and model used for test: Babolat 2012 Pure Drive Roddick +

Power of test string: I found it to be low powered, lower than both my normal setup. I really had to step into the ball to get a nice shot, but with the low power volleying was very nice, gave me nice drop shots.

Feel: One of the better feeling polys out there to me, I enjoyed the feel, since I am mainly a flat hitter, this string really let me dig into the ball and feel the shot as I was going through it. Technically, the feel felt like a hybrid between a full multi. and full poly setup, since I switch off between the two, I guess I would describe it as a string that is not as boardy as a full poly setup, but has the characteristics of full multi./syn. gut with how you get the plow through feeling.

Spin: What can I say? It's a poly, there is definitely spin there... Being a flat hitter, whenever I use a poly setup, I have to switch to a more loopy form to get spin onto the ball and switch from my regular flat form. This one, surprisingly, I could do both. I could hit spin when I needed it with my loopy form and the power was there for me to generate on my own with flat hitting. But compared to my normal poly setup, it is definitely a lot less spin, I really had to swing it faster and harder to generate the spin that I wanted.

Comfort: I found no problems using these strings, being a poly you definitely feel it when you hit a deal spot, but other than that I would say average, a bit on the stiffer end, but once settled in and dropped in tension a little it becomes softer.

Durability: I would say great durability, I am not a string breaker, so I cannot comment to much on it. I noticed notching during my 3rd and 4th session out, but that is about it.

Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time): When I first strung it up on my initial hit, I did not really like it at all, I could not find my comfort zone, hitting flat just popped the ball up and out, hitting too much spin would net it. But after the first session, I did not hit for a couple days, during that time tension dropped and strings settled in a bit, when I took it back out, it felt much better. I could really get some plow into the ball, and the strings did not feel as boardy and stiff. Since then, I have taken out for a good 10 hours or so, it has settled in, and I am enjoying it in the frame. This string definitely required a break-in period for me.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?): My game style is more of a flat baseliner, with these strings, I found with spin that I had to go with a wider and more loopy stance and form with a lower take-back to my shots. On flat shots, I had to swing a little faster to keep it in, but I did not have to adjust much to those shots. As far as predictability in where the ball was to land, it tended to land shorter than where I wanted, due to the lower power, which led to me swing faster to generate more spin and power. If I swung at my normal pace, it would just pop up and fly out, and if I swing it lightly, I would not generate enough "oomph" into my shot.

Compare to the string you use most often: Since I switch between two string setups depending on the conditions, I will start with my Multi. setup, compared to that: it was definitely lower in power, had the pocketing feel of the multi., and generated more spin. Compared to my poly setup: it had more power, less spin, but did not have as much of a boardy and stiff feeling. So it is definitely softer than my normal poly.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?): If I was to recommend a tension, I would say around 52-55 range is nice, on a first hit it will feel stiff and hard, but once the tension drops off and settles in, around 46-48 range, it definitely begins to show its nicer attributes.

Summary:
Like: Nice pocketing of the ball, good spin for my (flatter) game style
Dislike: Low Power, stiff on initial hitting without a break-in period

On a final thought, I enjoyed this string, I will keep it in my racquet until it breaks or just goes dead. So far, it has been around 12 hours and it is still good. It is a nice string for flatter hitters, by offering what feels like a mix of poly and multi. attributes. Depending on the price range, I would reuse it, try a hybrid or something maybe, but even on a full set I really like it and could see myself changing my poly setup to this.

Thanks TW and Gamma for the PlayTest, hope I get another opportunity in the future.

Last edited by LanEvo : 09-26-2012 at 10:05 PM.
LanEvo is offline   Reply With Quote