View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 04:50 AM   #107
Nuke
Hall Of Fame

Tension used for playtest
55 pounds on both mains and crosses.

Regular string set up
Cyber Flash 17 mains with OGSM 16 crosses, both at 55 pounds.

Racquet brand and model used for test
Prince OS Warrior.

Power of test string
Low, even for a poly. One of the reasons I hybrid in my usual setup is to get a little extra power from the syngut cross strings, but this test specified "no hybrids." Perhaps this string would have been better in a hybrid, but I'll never know.

Feel
Blaah. Dead, boardy feel. Not at all crisp or lively. Little arm feedback. I just didn't enjoy this feel at all.

Spin
Disappointing. One of the benefits of using poly is enhanced spin potential over other types of string, but I wasn't feeling it so much with this one. I had to take too severe a cut at the ball to really get it spinning, and that causes other errors. Definitely a string for flat hitters, and that's not me.

Comfort
Not terrible. This string isn't an arm-killer for a poly, and it felt a lot better than the actual results I was getting. Off-center hits were not too jarring. So, maybe this is the string's best feature, as I'm mostly negative in the other categories.

Durability
I only played this string for about 6 hours over the last three weeks. I'd play a set with the playtest string, and then (happily) switch back to another racquet with my regular setup for the rest of the sessions. So, the playtest string still has some life left in it, but my ladder league just started up this past week, and my lack of enthusiasm for this string makes me want to get back to my usual setup full-time for the league matches.

Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time)
This actually became a bit more playable the second time out, so there's a bit of a break-in needed before it stops feeling like crap. But it never got to the point where I was very comfortable with it. But, for what it is, it's OK through the six hours I have on it, and can probably go a few more hours, but I'm done with it.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?)
It was OK on directional control. Not as good on depth control, as I rely a lot on spin, and this string doesn't deliver on that. Probably a satisfactory control string if you're a flat hitter, though.

Compare to the string you use most often
Well, Cyber Flash is a good all around poly not spectacular at any one thing, and not real bad at anything. This Gamma string was worse than my CF/OGSM hybrid at just about everything (power, spin, control). Maybe only in the comfort department was this string any god, but not by enough to make up for the rest of it.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?)
I s8upose it might be better at a slightly lower tension (50 pounds or so) to try and get a bit more power out of it, but a better thing to try would be to use a softer cross string in a hybrid.

Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes.
Well, for likes, just the comfort factor. It felt a lot better than it played, though, and everything else is a dislike: not enough power, not enough spin potential, just average control. And what's with this string movement? Poly isn't supposed to do that.

Even if this one sells at a lower poly price point, this one is not for me, but thanks to Gamma for giving the opportunity to test it out.