View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #108
Laney Tennis
New User

Strung it up last night, interesting stuff. Shape of it is flat with some twists from coil memory? Anybody got a close up picture of this? Last time with the 4g test someone posted a pic that revealed it was actually a shaped poly which was difficult to see.

Gamma Playtest

Full set or hybrid - Full set used

Tension used for playtest - 57lbs

Regular string set up - Tourna Big Hitter Blue Rough 16g mains/17g cross

Racquet brand and model used for test - Wilson Pro Staff Tour 95

Power of test string - Compared to my regular setup this had about the same or just a tad more power. I would say this is a medium powered co-poly.

Feel - This string started out playing very nicely for me, feel was very solid and predictable. It had the typical poly feel which is dead and not very lively but everything was very well controlled. Touch shots can be executed by skilled players, nothing to complain about there.

Spin - The spin on this was average to slightly above average. It gave me enough spin to hit angles and control my shots but nothing insane that's making the ball explode off the court so the spin was satisfactory but not exceptional.

Comfort - This string is in line with the latest co-polys, soft and comfortable, easy on the arm, didn't feel any soreness after all the practice sessions using this string. I Have full confidence hitting out with this string and it will not harm my elbow.

Durability - Durability is average to above average. After the first hit session there was slight notching but nothing indicating the string will not last. However upon closer inspection, the notches were not the typcial notches compared to other co-polys. These had notches that seem to have melted away some of the material. It gave me the feeling that the material used for this is "cheap."

Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time) - Ok this is the strange one. During the first hit session the string played great, I was very impressed to be honest. 15 minutes into hitting, the strings started to move on me, tension did not feel like it dropped off but string movement got worse, it was very dissapointing. Usually this only happens with synthetics, this is the first time I had string movement in such a short time with a co-poly. If the string movement was minimized, I would say playability was pretty darn good. There was a point where I was actually thinking about getting a reel of this stuff to try out but the string movement just killed it. Gamma please fix that...

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?) - Control was very good on groundstrokes, I was hitting out on my shots and the ball was going where I wanted it to go. Spin access was easy enough that I didn't have to change anything to keep the ball in play, this string was a confidence booster untill the string movement occurred. Vollyes felt nice but serves needed a bit of help, I felt that it simply did not have enough pop on serves.

Compare to the string you use most often - At the start the Gamma string compared very favorably to BHBR to my surprise, playability was good, spin was good, control, power and comfort were good, then after 15 minutes the wheels started to come off. String started to move on full swings, string material appeared "cheap," my confidence in the string bed took a nose dive. Playability remained good but I had to cut out the strings after the 2nd session, the movement was too excessive and that was the deal breaker.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?) - The string tension should be strung similar to other co-polys, the characteristic of this string did not vary too much from others that it needed tension adjustment.

Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes. - The Gamma test string made a very nice first impression on me, I was looking for something else to try other than BHBR. The first few hits with the Gamma told me that this could be a contender to my surprise. I liked how it played, nice pop on groundstrokes, very nice on volleys, it allowed me to do everything I needed to do. If Gamma can fix the string movement and somehow mask the "inferior" look of the string material, then I can recommend this to the players that I string for. In its current state I cannot recommend this.

Thanks TW for letting me participate in these playtests!
Laney Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote