View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Fusker
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlam View Post
It just I feel volleying stroke is defensive motion unlike what most people think plus the motion is similiar to the ROS
While serving and running around a backhand to smash a forehand tends to keep my mind more offensive
To me if I can control the spin and pace that is what I consider offensive
To use the opponents pace and take spin off is more defensive in my mind
I think your view of volleys versus baseline shots as offensive or defensive isn't incorrect - it's just a matter of perspective.

If you come to the net on a well-placed approach shot, you have to mentally be prepared to deal with some passing shots. But in the grand scheme of the match, if you're winning 7 out of 10 points you play at the net, you have a winning strategy. But mentally, some guys will get deterred by the 3 points they lost. Maybe it's because they got lobbed, or had a screamer whiz by them. In either scenario, they've been demoralized and give up on a solid play. If you watch some of the old serve and volleyers, you see those guys getting passed left and right. But if they win more than they lost, they kept pushing forward.

Meanwhile, many of the same rec players that give up on net play after losing 30% of their net points would be thrilled to hit 7 out of 10 attempted winners from the baseline successfully. My theory is that a lot of people feel more comfortable believing that "the match is on their racquet" and are more comfortable dealing with their own unforced errors rather than their opponents winners.

I don't know if that's you or not - just food for thought.
Fusker is offline   Reply With Quote