View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #29
shakes1975
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 380pistol View Post
I understand what you're saying, and you made strong points about expecteations. But in most sports (if not all) where do these "expectations" come from?? A players ability, reputation of what we've seen them do. If you're down by one with 10 seconds to go and you can put the ball in Jordan's hands, you feel somewhat comfortabe. Why???

-he can go one one with anyone
-he can draw a double team
-he's been there before

This isn't to say he hasn't missed, but in bag games and clutch moments we expect great athletes to what their supposed to do, as that what makes them great. The reason I talk about the 4-4 pass, was that it was big a big point, and the level of difficulty was not that high. He had another break point after that and hit a running forehand into the net, How many running forehands has Pete hit in his life?? But Roger attacked ahort return and hit a low deep forehand. Now even I've seen Pete make more difficult running forehands, but if he made that one, it would have taken a great effort, the backhand not so much.

Yeah favourite player may have something to with it, but I felt the same way watching Roger at Roland Garros. Now I don't expect him to beat Nadal, but I expect more from him. When after the match a stat shows 93-94% of Rafa's serves were directed at his backhand, I don't think, I expect him to do something to at least change that. Or hen Nadal is working over his backhand. I don't think he should just take it, I expect him to get off the mat and fight. I don't care if Roger starts hitting backhands to Spain, it's better than getting your back pounded to the point your moving back, dumping them into the net and shanking them. My level of respect for Roger increased at Wimbledon, cuz he went down swinging. After losing the first two sets he was like "I may go down, but I'm gona fight", which is what I expect.

Anyway back to great players making an missing shots, I agree can't make them and win them all. But what makes them great is their ability not only make them more times than not, but do it when it matters. If Pete hit a better pass, not even a good one, and Roger made the volley, then that's how it goes. But he hit it right back to him. For players the lebel of Sampras, Federer, Borg, Laver, Gonzales etc. that's a shot I expect them to make when they need to as that is why they are in the class that they are, and others aspire to reach that level.

If you look at the 4-4 game, he had 2 break pts. I expect Sampras to make the backhand pass, but not necessarily the running forehand. Federer hit a deep penetrating forehand (and follwed it in), which would've forced Sampras to come up with something special, I don't feel the backhand was. He hit a return which eve forced Roger to volley up.

I don't don't if you watch football, but if you have you've seen Jerry Rice make spectacular cathes, one hand, in double coverage etc. Now if a big game 4th quarter on 3rd down, he drops a ball that you've seen catch 100 times, I put that on him. As I "expect" him to do so. Now if it's in double coverage, or a catch that forces him to come up with something special then I can see it.

You're right maybe another day he makes that shot, maybe another day vs Becker he may not make the pass, I see what you're saying about that being the nature of the game. That's sports, that's why we love them, and why we have these discussions.

Understood. I was just moreso talking about it from a Sampras perspective, in conjuction to what one other poster said to another earlier in the thread.
+1. To me, the main difference in this match was regarding the fact that Sampras was a step slower in closing to the net. At 30 yrs and for a S/V'er that makes a significant difference in how well you can hit that 1st volley. He had a great serving day that kind of made it that close, but if he had been younger, his 2nd serve performance would've been better.

Also, they were in different places mentally. One was the Open Era GOAT" at the time, satisfied at having achieved all that he thought possible, was married, lost that edge from his hunger/desire for the game, while the other was a up-and-coming youngster, keen to make a mark, charged up at the prospect of upsetting the "GOAT", closer to his athletic peak.
shakes1975 is offline   Reply With Quote