View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #54
timnz
Hall Of Fame

Default Berlin - World Pro Championships 1932 and 1933

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
I notice on wikipedia that the World Pro Championships in Berlin in 1932-1933 had been added to the list of professional majors. Does anybody know what the scores were for the finals in these years?
Yes I will own up. That was me who updated the Wikipedia article.

The evidence just got overwhelming that this was a Pro Major. It had a much larger field than any of the other Pro Majors of the 50's or 60's. In 1933 it had over 80 players! I also did an Internet Search of the newspapers at the time - consistently it was called the World Pro. Championship. Tilden who was runner up to Plaa in 1932 - rated Plaa the number 1 for 1932 - one would think largely on the basis of that tournament. The final confirmation for me was Tennis Historian Ray Bowers in the 'History of the Pro Tennis Wars Chapter IV' this tournament at the time was regarded as the most prestigious professional tournament in the world.

I have to say, an equally strong case is developing for the Bristol Cup being a Pro. Major. It is very clear that Kozeluh was regarded by everyone as the World Pro. Champion at the beginning of 1931. That was the primary reason he had the head to head tour with Tilden once Tilden turned Pro. to determine who the new Pro Champion was. Why was Kozeluh regarded as the World Pro Champion? - because he was the winner of the Bristol Cup (he actually won it many times). Now if a tournament establishes who is the World Champion for the year - surely it should be regarded as a Pro. Major.
timnz is offline   Reply With Quote