View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 AM   #5
Valjean
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winners or Errors View Post
I really want to like synthetic gut, but as I play the string more and more - PSGO, OGSM - I find that the control and feel go south a little more than half way through the life of the string. Apparently, I'm more sensitive to it now than I was years ago.

It's more noticeable than poly, because most poly strings I play with, even in hybrid form, don't have a drop off in control as they lose their resiliency.

Not to belabor the point too long, is there something out there, ideally a synthetic gut I haven't played yet, that will give me the tension maintenance and crisp feel of the synthetics mentioned above, with life that lasts until breaking? I know natural gut may do that, but I'd rather cut out my synthetic than shell out for the real thing.

For the record, I hate the feel of PSGD - they ruined that string with the kevlar (pretty sure that's what the Duraflex is...), and I'm trying to avoid the "plasticky" feel of most polys.
1. When a string dies before it breaks, the gauge or string is too thick/strong for your play. When you decide on a thinner gauge, and the two coincide more, you might still feel you need more play out of your string due to earlier breakage then. But at least it should help defeat the annoyance you're experiencing now.

2. If PSGD annoys you, there is still Prince's Original Synthetic Gut to go back to.

3. You might find you like Babolat's N.vy, which is what's known as a premium synthetic gut. This is when one should feel remorse that Gosen's Jim Courier string is no longer available...
Valjean is offline   Reply With Quote