View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #133
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

NTRPolice, I have noticed a theme in your posts (well, a lot of them, actually). The theme I noticed is "I'm a legit 3.0C, but I really have the strokes of a 3.5 or a 4.0."

I have a TT cautionary tale for you.

A few years ago, we had a poster whose name I won't reveal. Nice guy, for sure. He played a season of 3.0S and wasn't bumped up. Then he worked on his game and demolished the field at 3.0 as a 3.0C. This included a run to nationals and a national title, IIRC. He felt it was a reasonable goal to get to 4.5.

He got a double-bump to 4.0. The last I heard was that he was struggling to win games at 4.0, let alone matches. I think he became overwhelmed with job and family and isn't playing USTA these days. Before he left TT, he was very candid about how wrong he had been about ascending to 4.5 and how his strokes weren't achieving much at 4.0.

I hope when (not if, when) this happens to you that you will come back here and commiserate. You won't be the first to dominate at a low level only to find the going quite difficult once the NTRP computer catches up to you.