View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #145
NTRPolice
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridatennisdude View Post
I actually didn't say you played hs sports, but that you were a hs athlete. I'm assuming you weren't picked last in gym class.

I didn't say you'd fail at 4.5. That is where I think you'll get to (Cindy thought 4.0 was your ceiling). You'll struggle at 4.5, but you'll get there. Like I said, it's an experience thing. By the time you log your 20+ years on the court, your body will be on the down side physically.

I've probably wasted far more than 10 mins of my life. On top of watching the videos, I'm sitting here analyzing you on my lunch break.

And yea, you're a kid to me. Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I am nearly old enough to be your father so I put you in the kid category. We refer to all the recent college grads as kids.

I understand that you don't want to play up as a way to accomplish a long term goal. I didn't want to either when I was a solid 4.0. But I got baited into it by a friend that was short on players for a 4.5 team. Then, I got a couple wins and received the bump. Dreaded it at the time, but I've been competitive enough.

In a nutshell, I'm being complimentary of you. I think that you probably should have self rated at 3.5 originally. 3.0 is just below you physically.
To some extent I was "the last to be picked in gym class" but thats only because I never bothered to advertise my athletic abilities the same way athletic people do. I've always thought high school sports were ridiculous, its politics for teenagers and it will get you no where in life. (for the record: I no longer believe this, but I did when I was in high school. I can see some value in high school sports now.)

The last "organized" sport I played was soccer when I was like 10 years old. I did play some other sports between then, but those were related to other activities like church or whatever.

In high school I was playing with chess pieces, computers and musical instruments more than I was anything else.

And, if you must know, I never graduated high school (got my GED 2 years later "just in case") and I most certainly didnt go to college. Very few people even know that I didnt actually graduate high school. I dropped out of high school to pursue other things. These other things have allowed me a lot of free time post 25 years old, which is why I spend a lot of time doing charity work and... recently, playing a lot of tennis. I'm not going to say im retired, but I certainly and not bound by a 9 to 5 schedule.

Quote:
Probably the only non compliment I have is your serve. It might touch 100 on a hot day, but it ain't got 120 within sight. No way, no how. Your natural arm swing just doesn't get that much racket head speed. 120 is a really, really big ball that I don't know if I've faced in 20+ years. Only time I've seen it live is at UF men's matches and during tour events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePower View Post
Wait, let me set something straight: I have never categorically said "a 3.0 can't serve 100 mph". I think it would be very rare, but you never know.

What I've been saying, though, is that *you* can't serve 100 mph, let alone 110 or 120.

I'm not saying this to insult you. I think your serve is very good for how much experience you have, the age at which you started playing, and your level.

But, sorry, you don't have the technique it takes to generate that kind of pace. Maybe you will develop that technique, but it's not there yet. I say that based on the videos you posted. Your service motion is still not smooth and developed enough. Your knee bend and shoulder rotation are mistimed.
That video is from a transition from my old, raw, powerful but unreliable serve motion. The reason why my timing is so off is because im transitioning from a very boxy and deliberate motion to a more fluid open one.

That video was never intended at its creation to showcase serve speed. That video at its creation was just intended to show me what I look like in the new form. I learn a lot by watching myself do things.

I merely offered that video to TT to show what I have. If I was as concerned to proving myself on the internet than learning I would just make a video of my using my old motion and ripping serves down the T.

My old serve motion requires incredible leg endurance for it to work which I cannot maintain over multiple sets. A solution was needed. The serve video you're watching is me in between the old and the new. You can see me explaining to my teacher about using the pinpoint stance. You also have to consider that this video was made on our first or second lesson, not nearly enough time to get the fluidity of motion properly timed.

Quote:
What other balls get put away? Even the Bryan's don't put away balls that are rocketed into their body. It can take them 4 or 5 volleys to get the sitter they are waiting for.

Sure, there are 4.5's that aren't good net players (me). But, the balls that should get put away get put away. If they don't, the match would be very lopsided.
Yep. That is exactly what we were talking about before we went off topic. We went from "put away balls" to "5.0 singles players instantly putting away 70 mph serve returns that are an inch from their big toe 100% of the time."

"A floater is a put-away at any level" is probably a better choice of words.

Last edited by NTRPolice : 09-26-2012 at 09:43 AM.
NTRPolice is offline   Reply With Quote