View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #155
floridatennisdude
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
Just so we are clear, I wouldn't dare guess how far NTRPolice can go. 4.0? 4.5? It all depends on whether he can get quality instruction, can work on fitness, can get lots of match play. That takes time, money and dedication (plus luck to stay healthy).

My point in mentioning our former TT poster's 4.0 wake-up call is that the leap between levels is huge, and the higher you get the harder it is to improve. Perhaps TT looks good on camera and has pretty strokes, but we all know how difficult it can be to translate that to match play. I hope he achieves his goals, whatever those might be.

In the meantime, he should perhaps defer to people who play types of tennis he has never once played (ladies 7.5 combo, as in this thread) and those who actually have scaled the men's 4.5 mountain.

If he's serious, however, I do have words of advice based on what I have seen at TT:

If you want to move up, don't get married and don't have kids.
I'm purely gauging his potential talent. Sure, other things could get in the way, but I've seen guys like this and he has the core of what it takes to get to 4.5.

No higher than that though. I don't see his ball striking evolving to 5.0. Had he started 10-15 years ago, maybe.

Dunno about all the lessons, etc that folks dump cash on. I haven't paid for more than a dozen or so clinics (and never a private) in the past decade. Reliable hitting partners were my thing. And watching lots of tennis.
floridatennisdude is offline   Reply With Quote