View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #23
tricky
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
A pendulum is when a weight is suspended up at a pivot point and swings down freely from gravity to establish equilibrium.
For the running FH, it helps to use a pendulum motion in the takeback. The elbow is brought down initially, which causes it to rise in the takeback and above the racquet. Again, this helps to load the shoulder so that the forward swing does not need to go across the body. It's not that different from how traditional BHs are taught, except that it's just one hand and on the FH wing.

The gravity explanation is a popular one to explain the C or reverse forehand, but even in situations where the racquet path is not especially high, you get a lot of power. It's again due to how the specific technique enables you to actually drive through the ball from a full run.

Quote:
Torso rotation has nothing to do with up / down motion. Rotation just delivers rotational energy/ momentum into the ball.
Let me clarify -- the upper torso/trunk rotation mostly loads and set up the circular aspect of the loop. This is because, for the loop to occur (shoulder abduction), the arm must move away from the right side of the body. However, this is difficult when you're also running to your right. Using a pendulum motion (or starting the takeback by dipping the racquet) reduces the need to do this.

Quote:
Also if you're not running all out and you step with the left you have a chance to then plant your right foot for recovery.
I understand. The technique I'm describing is about executing a running FH from a near-full run.