View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #18
Say Chi Sin Lo
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Jr View Post
Yeah, na. Most good players will generally be slightly to the opposite side of the court in a cc scenario and masking a relative weakness on one wing is standard right up to the current number one player in the world. The position is based also on where the ball is when the opponent strikes it.

Standing slightly on one side (your weaker wing) is generally good tennis at all levels - it says to your opponent that you intend to hit 60% forehands for example and if they're good enough to make it otherwise then go for it. You're forcing them to play your game.

99.99% of players in the world are not good enough to usurp that strategy enough to make it not worth doing. If they go for a big shot down the more open side of the court they wont hit winners enough to mask that they'll also be hitting to your favoured wing more often too. Unless of course they can hit winner at will - which is unlikely.
Maybe it's a habit for me. I used to run around most of my backhand, and hit forehands instead. I used to have an abysmal backhand.

The problem was, if my inside-out/in forehand wasn't good enough, the entire deuce court would open and I'd have to make a mad dash to cover any down the line shots.

Since those days, I keep telling myself to not give away the court easily.
Say Chi Sin Lo is offline   Reply With Quote