View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
goober
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surecatch View Post
I don't have an NTRP rating. But I play in non NTRP leagues and classes that are called 3.5 singles, etc.

I have been a fan of threads here that talk about NTRP ratings vs. self-rating, but I've long wanted to see what a 3.5 NTRP player looks like. I go to youtube and search, but first I'll see a "3.5" that looks much more skilled than I, and the next one I'll look at is a "3.5" that seems to have very little skills.

This is a brief description of specific things that I don't do well, as opposed to most descriptions that offer up what a player does do well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite my vast improvement in the past several months, I still frame hard first serves into the court in front of me or send one to the fence. I don't do it very often anymore, but it does still happen occasionally.

I still misjudge my set up and completely wiff once in awhile.

I still sometimes get completely handcuffed by a hard groundstroke and probably look like a total hack when I do.

I still get lazy or tired with footwork and find myself totally out of position as a winner sails by me....find myself five feet behind the base line when there is no reason in the world other than laziness/tiredness for me to be there.

I still overhead smash into the net sometimes.

I still wimp out on my second serves, even though I don't really resort to "punching it in" anymore.

Even though I am "in" every game I lose, I still fold and lose games that I have game/break points in way too often.

I still haven't learned the fine art of "winning." I can compete. I battle hard, and am a hard out in any single game. But my losses still almost always can be characterized as "much closer than the score indicates."

I still get frustrated and infuriated and usually lose to a lesser player who is good at "pushing."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition, if any of you more knowledgable peeps' can post a video of what an actual NTRP 3.5 looks like, I'd be very grateful.

TIA.
^^^ a lot of 4.0, 4.5 + players do the same things.

You will never get a definitive video of what a "actual NTRP 3.5 " looks like. 3.5 is a wide ranging level of skill and technique. People with ugly technique can win with consistency and are indeed legitimate 3.5s even though they may look like 3.0s. People who look like 4.0-4.5 level players can be 3.5s because they can't keep the ball in the court. In reality it doesn't really even matter. The numbers and cutoffs are arbitrary. They are only meaningful in the context local league or tournament or club you are playing .
goober is offline   Reply With Quote