View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #35
Fuji
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaypunch View Post
I can speak from experience with the Wonder Wedge (now Power V grip). It increases the size of the angled 2 and 4 bevels. This gives the continental and semi-western grips a bigger, more stable bevel. The #3 bevel gets tiny so if you use an eastern FH it probably will be a negative for you.

I originally tried it because my daughter was having a problem with her grip rotating from conti to eastern when she served. She didn't like it at first but after a few days she got used to it. It did solve the problem of the racquet rotating in her hand. She loves it now. After using it for a couple of years now she hates hitting with a racquet that doesn't have one.

I gave it a try as I would often use one of her racquets when we played. I also hit with a SW forehand so it was an easy transition. I really like the feel of the racquet with it.

I have since stopped using it. Not because I didn't like it, but because it forces you to hit on the same side of the racquet for all your shots. I use textured poly (MSV Focus Hex). What I found is that the hitting side would be worn smooth and the side with the Wonder Wedge would still be rough and like new.

I wouldn't call it a "gimmick". It really just gives you a more stable feeling for certain grips. Some may not like it. For others it really helps their confidence.
With the Wonder Wedge, how did it effect your backhand? Hitting an Eastern Backhand grip, it seems to me like it be be a bit bulky feeling.

-Fuji