View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #48
TMF
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
Red Auerbach thought a Dream Team of top players of the 1960's would do quite well against the 1992 Dream Team if memory serves.

The height of the average NBA player in 1970 was 6'6. In the year 2012 it is 6'7".

Wow, one inch.

I think in the year 1986 and 1999 it was 6'7.5 inches. Guess the NBA is going backwards. Players have shrunk.
Red is biased toward the 60s. I've heard some of his interviews, one of them was when he claimed he was better than Phil Jackson as a coach because he inherited all the star players. That contradict him because he had the best players in the 60s. He said Russell was better than Chamberlain and would pick Russell as center again if he had to coach again. Of course he had to say Russell.

Players in the 60s were mostly white players, and there's no doubt that black basketball players are better than white players. The 1 inch difference doesn't really matter if a player is more athletic, jump higher, stronger, more talented, etc. I seriously doubt if the best players in the 60s competing in the Olympic today and return home with a Gold, because so many nations have improved over the decades.
TMF is offline   Reply With Quote