View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Fuji
Legend

Default "So you only play 5.0?"

Hey all, just wanted to relay a funny story that happened yesterday for me!

Yesterday I was a junior camp from U16-U18 and these kids were amazing to watch! I got to play a couple games with some of them and it was a total blast. Perfect technique and they hit the cover off the ball. (They had a radar gun set up, and the fastest serves out of the juniors was 78MPH. Take this into consideration!)

We were discussing game play and just general tennis experiences, and I heard the funniest thing from the lot of them. "Oh, so you struggle to play against 5.0 opponents?" These kids were from the ages of 14-17 and they scoffed at what I personally think is a pretty high level. A lot of these juniors are winning 5.0 and doing quite well in Open, so it doesn't really come as a surprise to me, but still a pretty funny comment when you look at the grand scheme of things.

I was equally amazed at the radar gun they had set up. These young adults really weren't hitting amazingly hard on their serve or anything. Their top speed was 78MPH on a first serve, and as low as 45 on a second, (gun was at the centre tape on the opposite side to read speed) and they are doing well in Open's. It just goes to show that power definitely isn't everything when it comes to serving!

Any who, just wanted to share, that no matter how good you think you are, there is a 14 year old girl who is probably better then you at it!

-Fuji